Well, here it is…the Punk Rock Gift Exchange questionnaire for my Secret Pal.
1) How long have you been spinning/Knitting/Crocheting? I’ve been crocheting for the longest; about 35 years, give or take. Spinning and knitting happened around the same time, so I’ve been doing that for 12 years or so.
2) Do you consider yourself a beginner, novice, or experienced Yarn Artist? I guess some people would consider me experienced, but I’ve still got a lot to learn. I’d consider myself a novice until I’ve been doing this longer.
3) What type of fibers have you worked with? I’ve been knitting and crocheting with just about everything, except for wire and conductive thread, which I’ve been wanting to try. The one thing I’ve not done a lot with spinning wise is cotton.
4) What types are you dying to try? Cotton, eco-spun, tencel, things like that.
5) Are you allergic to anything, (Fibers, Food, Smells that make you want to puke, etc.)? Milk.
6) Do you have any Disorders, ex: Diabetes? Not really anything that would affect a gift exchange. So no.
7) What is your Favorite Time/Style period, ex: Romatic, Grecian,Metal, Goth,etc? Romantic/Art Nouveau, Victorian and romantigoth.
8) What fibers do you dislike? I’m not crazy about cotton and acrylic, as they dry out my hands something fierce; but I wouldn’t say I actively dislike them.
9) Name some of your favorite Artist, Movie wise, Television if you watch it ex: I heart Keanu, some things cant be helped, and Rachel loves Mike Ness !? I’d tell you, but you’d laugh. I also am fond of CSI and the BBC show Life on Mars.
10) Whos your favorite Character ex: Jack or Cpt Jack? La Catrina. She’s a Mexican Day of the Dead figurine; you can read more about her here.
11) Do you prefer natural colored fibers, or handpainted/dyed fiber? No preference; either is fine.
12) What are you favorite colors? Black, purple, violet, wine-red, dark blue.
13) What colors do you dislike? Pink. Don’t tell my daughter.
14) What projects are you currently working on? A pair of stockings from the Fall ’06 issue of Vogue Knitting, and some handspun wool for a sweater.
15) Do you have a wishlist? Yes. Oh, would you like a link? 😀 Here it is.
16) Do you have any other favorite hobbies? Music – which is much more to me than a hobby – electronics, cemetery photography, sewing, cooking.
17) When your birthday? Sept. 21.
18) What is your favorite food, candy, scents that you love!! Etc.? Mexican, Thai, and Korean food; dark chocolate; violet, spices, Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab scents, Nag Champa incense.
19) Are you pierced at all? Any tattoos? Can you/would you wear jewelry that isnâ€™t real? Piercings – yes, lots; tattoos – no. Yes, I’ve successfully worn non-precious metal jewelry (I’m guessing that’s what you mean).
20) What do you like Culturally, ex: Celtic, African, Devil Worshiping, Kidding!? I’m an Eastern European girl myself, but I’ve been interested in North African/Middle Eastern culture for some time. I’m an agnostic now, but I still celebrate Wiccan holidays and Christian holidays.
21) What do you use to store your needles/hooks in? A couple of plastic boxes in the house, but I just throw them into my bag when I go out (hangs head in shame). I built a spindle holder for my drop spindles; a boot of my daughter’s with some floral foam inside to hold them in place.
22) What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD) Lots of different things; everything from old-school Goth to traditional blues to Middle Eastern/Eastern European music (gypsy stuff is a big favorite now) to classical (I’m a Debussy fanatic). The only things I won’t listen to is “adult contemporary”/easy listening and mainstream C&W music. Mp3s are just fine.
23) What’s your favorite season and why? Autumn. I love the weather, the emotions it evokes, watching the leaves change color, fall and fade away – all of it.
24) What season do you abhor? Summer.
25) How about Sports, any that you just cant get enough of or do they make you throw up in your mouth just a little? I got hooked on ice hockey when I was in college, and it’s still a big favorite. Other than that and football (my hubby’s a football junkie), watching sports is like watching paint dry.
26) What is your family situation Do you live alone? I’m married, with one child, one dog, one cat, down to 6 goldfish.
27) Do you have any pets? Yes. See above.
28) Do you like handmade gifts? Love them! Just the fact that somebody would take the time to make something themselves means a great deal to me.
29) Whatâ€™s your favorite thing to make, knit/crochet or other craft wise? Yarn, followed by stupid quick-and-easy things (scarves, mittens, things like that) and toys.
30) Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Circular. You can do literally anything on them, and you don’t wind up losing half of the pair (ahem).
31) Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift? Yarn winder, but not a swift.
32) Tell us how you learned to knit/crochet? I don’t remember how I learned to crochet, but I think I learned it from a magazine when I was little. I learned to knit from some people at the local yarn/fiber store back in IL who felt sorry for me and helped me out.
33) Do you enjoy getting helpful hints from others or does it just piss you off? No, I like getting help from others. If anybody has any hints or tips about spinning in particular, lay ’em on me, I say.
34) How old is your oldest UFO? My oldest UFO or my oldest fleece? The oldest UFO I have is about 3 years old. My oldest fleece – which I’m still slogging away on, by the way – is, um, a lot older than that.
35) Is there anything that you collect? Yes. Mexican Day of the Dead calaveras, Pee Wee things/toys, Monty Python toys.
36) Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? There are a couple of books that have intrigued me. One is Knitting for Anarchists, and the other is a series: Weldon’s Practical Knitting.
37) What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have if any? None, although I do subscribe to Spin-Off.
38) Are there any new techniques you’d like to learn? Moebius forms, intarsia (which I’d like to get a whole lot better at).
39) Do you enjoy knitting socks? How big are yer boats (feet)? I love knitting and spinning for socks. I have wee ships, but they’re a funny shape (wide with high arches); US 6 1/2.
40) When is your birthday? (mm/dd) 09/21.